Mindlab - Action reflections

Friday 22 March 2019

Week 32 - Reflect on your learning journey - (Check)


Stage 1:
Prior to starting the MindLab I had preconceived ideas about what collaboration was.
I teach in an innovative learning space where myself and another teacher 'collaborate'
it is said that we do collaborative teaching/learning.

Another rather large problem for myself as a teacher is the fact that research supports
heterogeneous grouping however when this was used in our classroom space it was strongly
suggested from management that we stop and to go back to streaming as we have a very low
achieving year group who they believe would benefit from 'traditional teaching'.

Stage 2: Observation and analysis
What kind of data of the identified problem you have gathered?

Firstly my colleague and I are working at level 5 on the ITL rubric. However when we it became apparent that although we are working collaboratively our students are still on stage 1 where they are required to work in pairs or groups.

Secondly in regard to heterogeneous groups we started the year with such groups. I felt that for
the first time in a very long time I had evened out the playing field for my students. I had students
of mixed ability, gender and nationality in each group. When I introduced a new concept and a child
knew something about it, they became the expert. I saw an genuine interest from different students
in each topic we did. Every year previously when I name my groups children instantly know who
the lower achievers are based upon what group they are placed in and you can hear the kids
ranking themselves. However this year I didn't experience this. Until I had to stream. One little
boy who is in the lower group who had previously been so eager to share his thoughts I could
visibly see his shoulders slump.

Stage 3: Abstract reconceptualization
In regard to collaborative teaching after an in depth discussion with my co-teacher we have
decided that we need to come up with activities that promote collaboration. We will need to
change a lot of the traditional ways we teach. The 21st century skills Voogt & Roblin (2010)
include collaboration as being one of many necessary skills to prepare our students for an
unknown workforce in the future. We need to investigate what this will look like with one
curriculum area before implementing it in all areas of the curriculum. We will need to ensure
that management understand what we are doing and why.

In relation to heterogeneous groups MOE (2017) states that 'we as teachers should
develop a learning-focused culture, a culture that is focused on learning, and is characterised by
respect, inclusion, empathy, collaboration and safety".  Which I believe heterogeneous grouping
does. Hattie & Yates (2009) suggests that there is little difference to outcomes between whether
or not you use heterogeneous groupings or not. However he does explain that children who are in
the lower levels usually stay in the lower levels throughout their schooling. I am wondering whether
this is because of the fixed mindset that they develop when they are  put in 'the low group'.
Dweck (2016) explains that students from lower socio economic backgrounds have a fixed
mindset and perform at lower level compared to their wealthier peers. Could the connection
between always being in the low group and a having a fixed mindset be connected?

Stage 4: Active experimentation
I have learnt that I still have a long way to go in regard to both implementing collaboration and
heterogeneous groups Fullan et al (2005) found that successful change involves learning during implementation. One of the most powerful drivers of change involves learning from peers, especially those who are further along in implementing new ideas. So visiting successful schools and using eight forces of leading change (Fullan et al, 2005).
Resources
Fullan, M., Cuttress, C., & Kilcher, A. (2005). Eight forces for leaders of change. JSD, 26(4).


Growth mindset tempers the effects of poverty on academic achievement.

Claro, S. Paunesku, D. Dweck C, S (2016)


ITL Research. (2012). 21CLD Learning Activity Rubrics. Retrieved from https://education.microsoft.com/GetTrained/ITL-Research



Ministry of Education (2017). 
Our code, our standards. Retrieved from https://educationcouncil.org.nz/content/our-code-our-standards

Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R.(1993). Reflective practice for educators.California:Corwin Press, Inc. Retrieved from hhttp://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files/RefPract/Osterman_Kottkamp_extract.pdf

Visible Learning and the Science of How We Learn
Hattie, J. & Yates, G. (2009)

Voogt, J. & Roblin, N. (2010). 21st Century Skills Discussion paper. University of Twente. Retrieved from http://opite.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/61995295/White%20Paper%2021stCS_Final_ENG_def2.pdf


1 comment:

  1. Hi Toni, I too have been experimenting with mixed ability group within my groups that I take in my own class but I am still ability grouping for the children I cross group with my collaborative partner. You have made me question why I still ability group for reading and maths. This reading from TKI might be helpful for your management to consider. http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Curriculum-resources/NZC-Online-blog/Raising-the-bar-with-flexible-grouping

    ReplyDelete