Mindlab - Action reflections

Tuesday 19 March 2019

Week 30 - Analysing Data

Week 30 - Analysing Data



I set out on this inquiry to find out, "How the use of robotics and learning with collaborative groups, could be used to promote student engagement and have a positive impact on mathematical outcomes?"  The data collection that I had originally planned in the "Take Action" phase of Spiral of Inquiry did not quite work out as I had planned. Originally I had planned to create a tick chart (Quantitative) that would show how the students were interacting throughout the lesson, as cognitive engagement is shown by asking questions. However this was just not practical when having to teach at the same time. This now means that we have no data to show whether the students were cognitively engaged in the learning tasks. I did however use a number knowledge as a pre and post test (Quantitative) as a way to collect baseline data and then show progress.  To get my data ready to analyse I had to mark and get a percentage. 

Pre test taken February
Post test taken March
Data collected from the class





I then had to enter my data into a spreadsheet which makes it easier to view when you are dealing with a whole class.Data that did not relate to my Inquiry question was taken out.Names where then changed to letters of the alphabet so individual students could not be identified.A bar graph was created to show pretest scores (blue) and post test score (red)I will use this data to compare the pre test scores and the end results. I will then find by what percentage each child has improved. I have found that while I can see an improvement in test scores. I am unable to compare the data with typical test score and to say that my students performed better using robotics because as Efron and Ravid (2013) explain the methods for interpreting quantitative data; after using the new method, to typical test scores using the existing method. The difference between the two means will reveal whether your students performed better using the new approach. 
I feel that there are so many variables present. I don't honestly know if the students improved because of the collaborative groups I put them in or if it was in fact the use of robotics. How do I know that they students increase in test results are not because of the warm up math activities I did prior to the lesson? Or the homework I set? or that their parents were doing extra work with them during the weekend. I don't feel that I have enough quality data to say that in fact "The use of robotics and learning within collaborative groups, could be used to promote student engagement and have a positive impact on mathematical outcomes?" Next time I do an inquiry I will at having a control group. I will take more time in the data collection and I will only have one variable in my big question.  
References




Efron, S. E., & Ravid, R. (2013). Action research in education: A practical guide. New York, NY: The Guilford Press. (e-copy available in Unitec library).





No comments:

Post a Comment