Mindlab - Action reflections

Thursday 21 February 2019

Week 27 - Examining your cultural context (Taking Action)

INDIGENOUS KNOWLEDGE AND CULTURAL RESPONSIVENESS AND SUSTAINABILITY
For this weeks reflection I have again chosen to use Rolfs model of reflection.
What?
Culturally responsive pedagogy is a student-centred approach to teaching where each students unique culture both tangable and intangable are recognised and valued at every possible opportunity. Bishop in Edtalks (2012) suggests that a teacher whose pedagogy is culturally responsive challenges the “deficit thinking” of student educability and has agentic thinking, believing that they have skills and knowledge that can help all of their students to achieve. 

An aspect of Kaupapa Maori I have implemented is Tino Rangatiratanga - The Principle of Self-determination - I planned to achieve this by assessing the students, sharing their results and co constructing their next steps. This would give the students agency over their learning.

Another Kaupapa Maori aspect is Ako - Students being given opportunities to share their new learning with the group through reciprocal teaching/learning. Hattie (2003) reminds us that it is not the socio-ecomonic differences that have the greatest impact on Maori student achievement but rather the relationships and whakawhanaugatanga, the shared experiences of working together, that is most important.


So What?

Throughout the taking action part of this inquiry I feel I have incorporated both Ako and Tino Rangatiratanga into my teaching practice. After completing the readings this week I am beginning to feel that I have a better understanding of the theory behind why I do the things the way I do. I am beginning to understand that questioning why we do things the way we do, is actually, a positive. This weeks reflection is based on assessment. In this weeks reflection I have looked at the Action Continuum- eliminating white space as a reflective tool. 



I have thought about this for my own practice as well as in the setting of my school.  I would place my practice at the green stage where 'Indigenous and culturally centred structures and practice are embedded but still colonial in terms of expectations, definitions of success.'  The assessment tool used for this research project and throughout the school is a timed 10 minute test. However I have modified how I administer the test to get a true indication of what students know, rather than, what they can show they know in 10 minutes. As I am aware that some students do not respond well under timed pressure and can affect assessment results. 

Now What?
Through this reflective process I have discovered that I infact do deliver a culturally responsive pedagogy although this is not embedded throughout the entire school. However in saying that, progress has been made over the last few years to increase everyone's cultural awareness. I will endeavour to be more willing to share how small changes within the classroom setting can make such a difference to all learners. Also spending more time building relationships with the students and discussing with each child what their next steps are and being more understanding of the fact that all students progress at different rates. 

Edtalks.(2012, September 23). A culturally responsive pedagogy of relations. [video file].Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/49992994

Hattie, J. (2003). New Zealand education snapshot. Paper presented at the Knowledge Wave 2003: The leadership forum, Auckland.



No comments:

Post a Comment